ARSONS IN 11 DIVISION
On the 19th of November 2008 in the early morning hours there were a number of arsons in 11 Division. They occurred on Humbercrest Boulevard, Gooch Avenue, Magwood Court and buy cialis online now Colbeck Street. In this instance, these arsons appear to be similar in that parked vehicles and trash bags with garden waste or leaves were targeted. The dry leaves were sometimes used as tinder for the fires. In one instance the wooden portion of a garage was set alight causing extensive damage to it and a nearby wooden deck.
You can’t be on guard 24 hours a day or be expected to stay up nights wondering if an arsonist might be lurking around your property. The following precautions should be taken which may assist you and your family from becoming victims of this type of crime.
• Make sure all doors , windows and skylights to your house and garage are closed and locked.
• Keep your vehicle locked at all times.
• Park your vehicle in a locked garage if possible.
• Check to ensure all exterior lighting around your home is powered and operational.
• Use your exterior lighting. Install some if you don’t have any.
• If you have a back alley or easement, be sure no unauthorized person can get into it.
• Beware of landscaping that may provide cover for someone lurking at night – and a possible source of combustion.
• Trim back trees and bushes on your property.
• Ask your neighbours to keep an eye on your home with the promise you’ll do the same for them. Concentrate on houses where people are away on vacation.
• Make sure there are no sources of flammable materials left out in the open, like rags, wood, gasoline cans, newspapers etc.
• Lock and chain barbeque propane tanks (spare tanks also) to prevent them from being used as a source of flammable material.
• Talk to your family about a fire plan and how to get out if a blaze strikes your home. Remember to arrange a specific meeting place so everyone knows all the members of your household escaped the flames.
• Make sure smoke detectors are installed on every floor of your home and they are operational.
• Consider having an emergency collapsible ladder if your bedroom is on an upper floor, to make it easier to escape by an upstairs window.
• Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
• Report any suspicious person(s) or events to the police.
• Do not delay in calling the police. Hesitate only long enough to ensure your safety. Then call immediately. The faster the police are able to respond, the better the chances the criminal(s) will be arrested.
General Toronto Police Contact Information
Should be used for the following emergencies:
• Crime in progress – situations where the safety of people or property are at risk
• Medical emergency
Should be used for non-emergency situations
416-222-TIPS – Crime Stoppers – Report anonymously to police any information regarding a crime (or online at www.222tips.com) Text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637)